Oh my god! I am so excited right now. I just went to the Muscular Therapy Institute's Introductory Workshop, and I am about to pee my pants I'm so thrilled. This was one of the more exhausting days I've had in a while, but simultaneously one of the most fulfilling. I was kind of nervous beforehand, but after about 5 minutes in the classroom all felt right again, and any nerves I had completely dissipated.
We had the normal intro spiel, and then broke down into three groups of about 12 people each. Each group went into a different room to work on the hands-on portion of the workshop. So we sat around and chatted for a little while about why we were there, etc. and broke off into pairs. We got to know the other person, talked about "what IS massage?" (of course I had to stifle a few chuckles there) and just shot the breeze. The instructor showed us a quick demonstration on some basic strokes using someone in the class as a model. Then we got to actually massage (and then get massaged) by our partner! Full out oils, bed, sheets, everything.
After a lunch of Bertucci's pizza and salad, we reconvened to sit through a lecture on establishing and maintaining therapeutic relationships. The lecturer - a former dean of the school - was a great speaker. She was very engaging and funny, and kept the boring stuff to a minimum. We did some more smaller group work (listening exercises, brainstorming ideas, etc.) and finished off the day listening to a panel of graduates/teachers and having a quick Q&A session. A few of us stuck around for the admissions interview afterwards, which was short and sweet. Basically, I'm in for September! I have to attend a financial aid seminar tomorrow evening, and then meet with the planner.
I am just so ecstatic I can barely believe it. It all just felt so right - the teachers, the staff, the classroom, the students, the material. I think the program is organized extremely well, and the staff seems psyched about teaching. Their program is a great mix between the more clinical sciencey stuff and the holistic, spiritual elements. PERFECT. It's been a long time since I've been so happy about a professional/educational opportunity, I almost forgot what it felt like.
I'm in the best mood ever. And completely tired.... off to bed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment