Saturday, October 23, 2004

Do you ever have those days when it just seems like the world has no sound? You walk around amist other people and things, and you're aware that there are sounds happening, but that they're muffled enough that you can't really hear them? I'm definitely having one of those days today. Sick of being sick, completely stuck inside my head, feeling such a strong disconnect to everything around me.

L and I went to go see 'What the Bleep Do We Know?' and it was absolutely fantastic. A sparkling gem in this day of fogginess. I've been cranky and withdrawn and under the weather all day, but felt so enraptured while watching it that I was able to - temporarily - forget about all this stuff swirling around in my brain. Instead I got to provide my brain with a different kind of swirling... the kind where you get to contemplate metaphysical wonders. Significantly more interesting, I think. There was a really cool CG scene in the movie that illustrated the hypothalamus (where all the emotions are "born") producing all kinds of chemicals that catalyzed different emotions and feelings. It was done with a great amount of hilarity, and was really entertaining.

I'd really like to re-read the book Genome that I read several years ago... this movie sort of hammered home some similar points. I'm totally fascinated by the concept that people usually screw up 'cause and effect.' We all tend to think that the scientific elements (genetics in this case) are the cause, and that they effect our physiological and environmental features. While this is true to a certain extent, there's such good evidence to support the contrary - our environment and emotions and physical processes can effect our genetic material. Neat stuff.

Though now I'm back to the napping haze, and feeling guilty about not going to hockey practice. I know it's for the best; I wouldn't want to jeopardize my health even more by forcing myself to practice a physically tough sport when I'm not up to snuff. And the boy is right, I would probably only make myself more frustrated. Perhaps I'll try to meditate for a while, and try to reconnect with my body a little bit. Yeah.

No comments: