Sunday, November 07, 2004

So I've been pretty productive this weekend. I had a really great day yesterday - finally got a Christmas present for my mom, did some much-needed laundry, paid some bills, played in my 2nd hockey game, did some free skating with buddies afterwards, and ate some Indian food. Hoorah!

I've been pretty lazy thus far today. Took my time actually getting out of bed, and now it's 10:00! Ack. It's so hard when I wake up early and the boy is still asleep... I just end up getting sucked back into bed. I finally managed escape velocity and am out of bed. On the agenda today is homework (boo), hockey practice, and perhaps some cooking. I have about a bajillion phone calls to return, so I should probably hop to on that as well. It's so beautiful outside today that I might try to hang out outdoors for a spell. Maybe I'll (gasp!) actually create some alone time for myself today.

I'm so excited about hockey. I know it's practically all I'm talking about these days, but it's just the coolest. I'm excited for A to recover fully from her injury so we get to play together! I love the feeling of starting a new sport and getting to that obsession stage after you've played it a couple times. Although I ended up feeling frustrated last night after our game - I got knocked around a bit, which is fine, except that it sucks that I can't knock other people around much yet. I'm way too unsteady. And I missed some pretty easy passes to me. It's funny, I feel pretty good about my stick handling skills when I'm not moving (I played a little bit of field and floor hockey as a kid), but when you introduce actually skating into the mix, I'm totally lost. And I haven't figured out how to stop yet, so when I miss a pass I either fall down or have to take a really wide loop to turn around. I wish I was better at just accepting that I'm new and it'll take me a little while to figure this out. But damn it, I want to be good at things when I first do them! I know I need to learn to chill out and not have these high expectations of my performance, but jeez is that hard to do.

I really miss yoga. I think I need to see a hand specialist, because it's just not feeling better. I mean, most of it is healed but when I rest my elbow on a table and rest my head in the medial part of my hand, it hurts. Just the weight of my head is painful. That's just not right after breaking it FIVE months ago. Luckily it doesn't interfere with hockey or anything else, really, but I can't do any weight-bearing activities without it being pretty painful. Which means, no downward dogs - or other yoga positions for that matter. But now that I'm doing a sport again, I think it's more important than ever to actually continue with the yoga to attain more flexibility. I want to get back to doing yoga on a weekly basis.... that seems so long ago that I did that.

No comments: