
As popular as this band is, they still kick so much ass -- especially live. The fact that they can manage to make a crowd of 20,000 feel intimate amazes me. How can a band who's been performing for close to 30 years still look like they're having so much fun on stage?
This was my second U2 show, and this one was significantly more enjoyable than the first. Partly because I was with my mom, partly because of better seats, and partly because their newest album is light years better than the last. It sounds totally cheesy, but their performance managed to mimic an almost religious experience. Sensual, rocking, lefty-political, hippie.... they hit on so many emotions.
They also played THREE encores, perhaps a record. Here's the set list:
City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
I Will Follow
Still Haven’t Found What I'm Looking For
Beautiful Day
Origin of the Species
Sometimes You Can’t Make it On Your Own
Love and Peace or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Miss Sarajevo
Pride in the Name of Love
Where the Streets have no Name
One
Until the End of the World
Mysterious Ways
With or Without You
Stuck in a Moment
Yahweh
Bad
40
All Because of You
Fast Cars
Sigh... it was great to have an evening where I was floating on air. :)
1 comment:
Yeah, totally. I hesitate to even tell people I love U2 (much less write about them on my blog) because they have such mass appeal; they have absolutely NO "cool factor" since they're not some hip, underground, obscure, wacky, trendster band. Then I realized how lame it is to NOT like something/someone just because they're popular. So I gave up and gave in -- I'm diggin' on stuff because it resonates with me, regardless of how the rest of the world views it (either with open arms or a cold shoulder).
Post a Comment