Wednesday, June 28, 2006

seeing red

In addition to being poor, I'm also angry. (seeing RED, get it? tee hee.) I'm SO SO SOOOOO frustrated right now at my current situation. Why can't I seem to get it together in the employment field? Seriously, I have YET to work in a place where I feel like I'm using my full potential. That really fucking sucks.

Here's my conundrum: I don't want to work in a stressful, un-fun environment. Hence, I don't take jobs where this happens. Thus, I end up working in jobs where I feel like I use about 1/4 of my potential intellect. Not that I have loads of intellect, but I'm a decently smart human being. It would be nice to use, I don't know, a good half of what I have. But nope. It appears that in order to do this, I have to violate rule #1 and work in a high-stress environment. How do I do it? Why does stress = cash?

I worked at a desk all day today. It really sucked. I can tell you all about action potentials and neuron transmission, but instead I spent my day saying, "would you like gratuity added to your debit card?" Not that there's anything wrong with that per se, but it's BORING to me. Especially for 8 hours straight.

The problem is, without more schooling, I'm not qualified to do the things I AM interested in. And freakin' A, I love school more than most people. I really, truly do. If I could be in school all the time, I'd be so excited. Hallelujah! But alas, school means money. Money I don't have. (And even if I could get it paid for, it's the time spent NOT making money that really screws me.) But here in VT it is slim pickins if you want a semi-intellectual job and don't have an advanced degree.

The kicker is, I like doing massage. I do. However, it's practically impossible for me (or anyone else I know) to do it full-time. It's hard on your body, hard on your energy to give give give 40 hours a week. So I'm going to have to supplement my income somehow.... reiki, acupuncture, physical therapy, nurse practitioner, physician's assistant - these all have possibilities. But all require MONEY. And that is something I just don't have right now. Not when I'm living paycheck to paycheck, and hoping to buy a car - and a house - sometime in the not-too-distant future. Let alone have babies....

Speaking of not having money, I know I'm not alone. Does this entire country run in the red? Seriously, do people out there actually live in the black? Because I honestly don't think I'm ever going to be out of debt - and I'm not really a huge spender. What the fuck is that all about? How mindboggingly irritating is it that most of the people we know will spend their entire lives owing money? Why is our society set up this way? What a shitty existence.

Yeah, I'm seriously pissed off.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well acupuncture does seem like it might be a good investment financially, anyway : http://www.nesa.edu/alumjobs.html

Is there anyway you can get maybe an apprenticeship as an acupuncturist? NESA has part-time programs but I am assuming its not cheap. My aunt is an acupuncturist (and studied in NYC with a very traditional chinese program) so if you want to know more about it, she'd love to talk you into it :)

Or nursing? I know there is a huge nursing shortage right now, its also a good career monetarily as well as providing both intellectual challenges. I guess you need to attend school for that as well, but not sure how long or how much it is compared to acupuncture. How much more school would you need for the physician's assistant? What do you think about applying your bio degree in a research lab while putting yourself through school? A research lab part-time, supplemented by perhaps some evening massage work and then also schooling might be stressful time-wise, but might work financially.

Miss Nelson said...

oh Lauren! I went through the "great jobs don't exist in Vermont" thing too. It fucking sucks and makes you feel really lame - like you're just not living up to your potential. But I do think your friend has some excellent suggestions. If you choose to go back to school, I think education is an amazing investment that nobody can take away from you - and it would probably make living "in the black" somehow more bearable!

I promise to start blogging again soon. I've kinda farted off the face of the regular planet these days. Providence is wonderful, and should you ever want to move somewhere, the job market is WAY more interesting here... wanna be our neighbors?

Lauren said...

Thanks, guys... yes, good suggestions Alicia! I've actually started thinking (again) about PA programs. Ellen is trying to convince me it would be totally worthwhile - programs are only 2 years long, and I might be able to skip some classes since I've already had a lot of similar stuff. And they actually make pretty good money here (about 85k!), so who knows?

I also have thought about acupuncture before... still may give it a whirl, though I should probably *receive* it at least once before thinking about making it a career. :)

I'm also thinking of learning reiki -- something I've been interested in for a while, and would be a snap to learn (at least financially and temporally), AND would save my hands/body more than MT. This is in addition to MT, because I do really like doing massage.

Oh, all the trappings of adulthood...