Tuesday, July 11, 2006

How to cut a mango? (Not like this!)



This question has puzzled me for years. Mangoes are some of the tastiest fruit around - right up there with avocados, artichokes and raspberries. Yet I've been plagued with how to best cut this delicacy.

Well, bloggers, perhaps you knew this already: peel it with a peeler first! Then cut off slices around the funky pit, and chop away. This may seem obvious to you all, but I've tried several different ways - scoring, slicing and then scoring, and so forth. None were very satisfying, and I always felt like I left too much fruit behind. But watching Alton Brown's show on the Food Network was enlightening. He's so darn smart... and I'm forever changed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey! you can also slice two sections on both sides of the seed, score them in a grid and "pop" it so you have cute little cubes stickin out at you.
nice for breakfast for two..
plus a little extra as you whittle closer to the seed.

roopa

margaret said...

Dude ...

It's not like I thought you were joking, or that Alton Brown was either, but I just tried my first mango this way and it totally rocks! Yippee to Mr. Brown for kicking butt all over town!

XOXOXO

Lauren said...

Yeah, I find the scoring and cubing method to be not so easy or satisfying. I leave too much mango on the peel, and it's super time-consuming.

Can you tell I've thought a lot about this?? Sheesh....