I had my first day of hockey yesterday, which was positively wonderful. It's exactly what I need right now in my life - an activity that will get me moving, and at the right level. It's with a VT outfit called Full Stride - they run many different leagues, for different ages, genders and abilities. The coach is really great; totally patient and clear and fun; he played a little for the NHL (Winnipeg Jets) back in the 80s. It was funny, the first couple of women I met in the locker room said, "So are you a mom too?" Apparently about 75% of this team are moms who want to learn to play hockey to keep up with their kids who play. There are a few college kids, and a few other older women. Some are better than me, some are worse, though most of us are at about the same level - have learned to skate and played a little bit before, but want coaching from the very beginning. I had a blast, and am sooo looking forward to playing every week!
I'm still on the lookout for part-time work. I'm actually meeting with a guy at a local frame shop up the street tomorrow evening, who's looking for some part-time help. I have no idea what they pay (probably very little), but at the very least it should keep me busy and earning a little bit more than what I'm making now, which just isn't cutting it. That is, provided we both like each other and the job works out. I'll probably submit an application to Starbucks, too... again, the pay is crap but with health insurance we'd be able to save the ridiculously astromical sum we're paying Brandeis for me to be on L's plan. So we'll see.
Of course, I'm still thinking about the whole PA (physician's assistant) and NP (nurse practitioner) line of work, too. UVM doesn't have a PA program, and I don't really want to move again anytime soon. Especially if we want to buy a house. But they do have a good NP program, which is three years (PA is only two). I could get my RN in the first year and moonlight as a nurse while I finish the other two years, which wouldn't be bad. Things to ponder.
No comments:
Post a Comment