Monday, July 02, 2007

food obsessions

I've been a little preoccupied with certain foods lately. Here's a list of a few of the things I can't seem to get enough of lately:

1. Edy's Coconut Fruit Bars. I've been a bit obsessed with coconut in general, and here is a VERY tasty dessert option - bits of coconut embedded into the bar, not too sweet or fake-flavored, and delicious on a hot summer evening.

2. Caprese salad. L and I went biking over the weekend and stopped at a couple different farm stands, and at one of them I bought a few giant tomatoes. They're not even fully in season yet but they made a yummy caprese.

3. The combo of collard greens, sausage and beans. I've made a few different soups with this theme, one with chorizo and white kidney beans (very portuguese) and the other a spicier take with pesto chicken sausage and black beans. I don't think I've ever had a pork and bean combo I didn't like, so this duo is always a winner in our household.

4. Mangoes. I literally. Can't. Get. Enough. As we were eating strawberry shortcake the other day, I thought - why does no one ever make mango shortcake? I totally have to make that. I didn't have the cake part of it around tonight, but I just devoured some mangoes and fresh whipped cream and it was *amazing.*

1 comment:

faye said...

What the hell are you going to eat when you're pregnant? You've got some nice little craving combos, here. I will definitely back you up on the mango shortcake; let me know how it goes.

Here's one for you: Grill a mango halve. Put a scoop of coconut sorbet in the middle. Drizzle with a little bit of lemon juice (optional, if you like some tang) and some agave nectar (optional, although absolutely kick ass).

Enjoy!!