Sunday, November 04, 2007

I want your M.O.

I have a question for you, dear bloggers and readers. Does anyone out there LOVE their job? I mean, sure, we all have good and bad days - I don't expect perfection or anything. But I don't think I've ever truly loved my work. And sometimes I get curious about how many people do. Are there really people out there who get up in the morning and are psyched to go to work? I'm sure there are, there must be. I read about such people sometimes, but I can't tell you if I know anyone like this. Are any of you this way? Isn't it funny that I may not know this about you? And if you are this way, how did you find this nirvana? Sheer luck, or years of dedication? Both?

I know it's a lot of questions to be asking, particularly on a Sunday morning, but I'm really just curious. I spend a lot of time hemming and hawing about my career, viciously swaying back and forth from hating it and sort of liking it. But never really loving it. I'm not sure... am I just not the type of person to love their job? Or have I not found what's right for me yet?

So tell me, what gets you out of bed on a Monday morning? (Or another day/time, if that's what your job entails.) Why do you do what you do?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually do love my job. I get up wanting to figure out whatever I was working on when I left. Often I don't let it go most of the weekend before looking at it. My last job was like that too, but it did get harder as time went on to be as interested - it got a little more repetitive, etc. This one is great, a lot of new stuff, and the optics and math that I need to learn and use is just fascinating. I'm a nerd, I could do math and physics all day. So I do. :) Sometimes I wish the application was a BIT more about things I am passionate about, like renewable energy, etc., but laser communications is at least a very new field, so it feels good to be at least working on something that is so challenging. Most of the people I work with seem to really be into their jobs too, which is nice. (wasn't like that at my old job)

-A

Jenny said...

So, I don't know how many people would consider being a SAHM a "job", but I do, and really love it! It is the most challenging/tiring and yet rewarding job I have ever had.

Kyler said...

I really do like my job. And I am in the midst of a crazy project right now so it is kind of nice that I stumbled upon this post and had the opportunity to ponder this question. My job/career is everchanging and I like that. I also like that it has fluidly morphed from one thing to the next even when I didn't expect it to. I was in Austria in the spring and have spent most of the fall on the west coast. At this time last year, I never expected that it would bring me all of these places. So I guess the fact that I can still be surprised and excited about my opportunities after working for the same company for 9 years is a good thing. But the best thing about my job is the people. I work with amazingly talented, passionate people that are a lot of fun! I have learned a lot from them and truly enjoy being around them and working with them.

faye said...

HOLY crap, here you have been updating and I've been missing it!!! I have some catching up to do...Well, I've loved two jobs...I mean, real true love...one was at a zoo, teaching kids about the environment, being lovers of and activists for animals, etc., etc...the other is 2nd grade, which I just started, so I there's still time to hate it.

I even loved waiting tables, though, so I may not be a reliable source. I really do believe the annoying cliche that we make our happiness where we are...that can be so deceiving, though, bc then we can become complacent, convincing ourselves we are happy in a job that really doesn't fit us...so I guess what I am saying is, as far as I can see...maybe we are f*#@% somehow either way?? Either that or extremely lucky.