It's the same old song and dance, these Sunday evenings. Impending dread about the upcoming week - for no clear or apparent reason - and the restless itch of not knowing what to do with myself because nothing is appealing. I don't really want to interact with anyone, I have no motivation to start a project, and I generally feel hot and cranky and bored.
I did have a nice weekend, though. L and I took his mom up to VT with us, and it was great to be home again. I love being in VT this time of year. We wandered around the farmer's market and the rest of downtown, which was packed and lively because it's the Discover Jazz Festival. We stopped to listen to a high school band's performance of "In the Mood" by Glenn Miller, which reminds me of my youth (oddly enough) since it was one of the first tapes I ever bought. We bought expensive coffees at Starbucks (where my mother-in-law gave the staff her 'Starbucks name,' Delilah) and bought girly bath products at The Body Shop.
While the hubby and mother-in-law napped in the afternoon, I got some time alone with Mom, which was a nice bonus. We chatted on her new yard swing and added to her garden some lettuce, peppers, and cucumbers. I really love spending time with her - it's so easy and fun, and we laugh a lot. I told her about my revelation regarding a career in NOT helping people, and she was appropriately enthusiastic.
The evening was super fun... my mom bought the four of us tickets to see a reggae show (part of the Jazz Festival) on the waterfront. The crowd was a Vermonty mix of mostly college kids, but also families (lots of tattooed parents), cool baby boomers (like my mom), and only the occasional Rasta (this is whitey-white VT, after all). One lady pushed her kid around in a stroller, and had outfitted the kid with a cardboard peace sign with the slogan 'Eat More Kale' written in crayon. The sun hadn't even set yet when we smelled the first signs of a true reggae show. It felt like home.
No comments:
Post a Comment