Tuesday, November 07, 2006

I'm not really sure if it's because I've gotten older, or because songs these days just don't pull me in the same way they used to - but what happened to seriously kick-ass music? Am I just solidly outside of the MTV demographic to understand anymore?

VH-1 is running the 100 best songs of the 80's, and like most crap on VH-1, I'm completely sucked in. Granted, these are the songs that I know and love from my childhood, so there's all kinds of sentimental crap attached to them. But DAMN, some of that shit is so good. The gritty badass-ness of Joan Jett's 'I Love Rock 'n Roll,' the beauty of Steve Perry's voice and arena anthem that is Journey's 'Don't Stop Believin,' and the forever-spine-tingling U2's 'With or Without You' have such an effect on me.

Don't get me wrong - there are definitely new bands/songs out there that I think are pretty great (The Killers, Ray Lamontagne, etc), but for the most part I want nothing to do with the latest (The Fray, Fergie or My Chemical Romance). I feel like an old lady, but I definitely yearn for some good old 80s and 90s stuff....

4 comments:

margaret said...

That's so funny ... J and I just listened to a Men at Work album the other day and spent about an hour afterwards asking ourselves what the hell is going on with music today.

I mean, Men at Work. Not the greatest band ever, but now they represent a bygone era of musical fabulousness that may never be achieved again. Suckage.

faye said...

Yes, I've gone through this. I think Margaret's thoughts are important. We're not talking about quality here, kids...it's the nostalgia, right? It's "more than a feeling." :)

Now Madonna. That's real good music! She's on my fuckable list, too.

Am I allowed to say that now that Margaret is having a baby?


:) faye

Anonymous said...

I've even abandoned most 80's and 90's stuff. I do like David Bowie, Beck, and Tom Petty, but mostly I listen to older jazz. I am SO into Gil Evans right now. and 70's Tom Waits. When I do listen to current music its mostly blues/bluegrass/jazz - David Grisman, Edgar Meyer and Bela Fleck, John Katz, Treat Her Right, Sugar Ray, etc. For cooking, the mr. and I almost always listen to the big night or zorba the greek soundtracks. Guess I like the mandolin !

-alicia

faye said...

come back.

okay, who am I to judge.


but really,


come back.