Hello trusty blogger friends. I have a cooking question for you all: have any of you ever worked with broccoli rabe? I just tried to make a salad with it (also using carrots -- nice and sweet -- and some cabbage with a sweet-ish dressing) and it was FOUL. I steamed it first and it came out really terrible. I'm usually a fan of bitter things, so I was surprised how awful it was.
Was it the steaming? The recipe I was using suggested this complicated process of boiling, draining, cold water dunking, draining, etc. so I thought I'd avoid any water contact and just steam it briefly. What gives?
4 comments:
ne'er made broccoli rabe. Sorry about your foot-smell cooking incident. faye
Sometimes leafy greens need actual water contact to rid them of their bitterness. I know it's true for fiddleheads, at least.
I make a mean broccoli rabe situation and it looks a little something like this:
chop up 4 or so cloves of garlic, put them in a saute pan with red chile peppers (you know, dried red pepper) - maybe 1 tsp (depending on your liking) and about 1/2 cup of olive oil. Cook over low heat briefly - don't let the garlic burn (maybe 1 minutes). Turn it off. If you want to add 4 anchovies at this point you can stir them in until they dissolve. The dish doesn't need them - you're just going to have to add a ton of salt later.
Meanwhile boil an abundant amount of water. Add salt, stir and add pasta (arecchiette works well or other things like little shells etc). When the water starts to boil again, add the broccoli rabe (you should have trimmed the toughest stems away and coarsly chopped the leaves and tender stems) to the boiling water and pasta. Cook until the past is al dente. Drain well. Combine the pasta, broccoli rabe and yummy oil and YUM!
Maria likes to add parmesan cheese to hers - I don't find it necessary.
This has become a favorite dish of ours.
Good Luck!
Thanks for all your comments, ladies. Grace, I'll totally have to try that dish, it sounds fabulous!
Post a Comment