Sunday, July 15, 2007

On the bus ride back from NYC this afternoon, I got to thinking: what makes me feel alive? I wanted to write down some concrete tips for myself... things that make me feel present, joyful, full of energy. This is a very different list than merely my likes, or hobbies. These are things that have much grander effect on me. Here's what I came up with, at least for the time being; things I want to incorporate more of into my life:

1. Art - making it, looking at it
2. Music - blasting it in the car, going to live shows
3. Nature - walking in the woods, biking through rolling hills, sunsets, sitting on the beach and watching the ocean
4. Newness - new thoughts, meeting new people, finding a new activity
5. Travel - new places or home, and everything in between
6. Good conversation - sparkling banter, theorizing, digging up weird issues
7. Play - sports (either with a team or solo), or simply playing in an unorganized way
8. Stargazing - 'nuff said

I rewrote this list in bright colors (not the examples, just the titles) and my husband just sort of chuckled at me, but I really want to remember these things. When I feel bored, or in a rut, or pissed off, I want this list to remind me what I need to do to feel alive again.

And what I want to do less of: puttering around online, watching TV, complaining, sitting around, consumerism (don't do much, but I still want less), comparing myself to others.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good idea to make this list. Writing them down and using color adds to their vitality and strength...and easily referenced during those down times. I share almost all of the things you mentioned and it gives me a boost seeing it too...thanks and love ya...keep going for the joy!

faye said...

OOOH, I think I am going to do this, too! Fabulous. What a way to remind ourselves of how to be present in the moment, really enjoying life! :)