Maybe instead of toiling over what I want to be when I grow up, I should instead adopt the strategy often used by middle-school teenagers when they want to ask someone out:
WHICH CAREER PATH SHOULD I FOLLOW - PLEASE CHECK BOX:
- NURSE PRACTITIONER
- COPYEDITOR
- TECHNICAL WRITER
- INVENTOR WHO COMES UP WITH THE NEXT BIG IDEA
- BECOME A COMPUTER GEEK
- START MY OWN ____ BUSINESS
- WAIT FOR "INSPIRATION" TO STRIKE AFTER I HAVE BABIES
- FUCK IT ALL, DO NOTHING
I don't really want to fuck it all and do nothing, of course, but I get so frustrated trying to pinpoint what is I should spend my time doing. The problem is, my interests are so spread out that it's an impossible task. If I could only choose "be an all-around good person who practices on bettering herself and is decently smart, kind, and organized" then I'd be ALL SET. What does the world have to offer us 'Jack of all trades, masters at nothing' kind of people? I feel like our society isn't set up for people of this nature. You have to pick one thing, go to school for a spell, and then stick with that one thing long enough to have made it worth your while. Yeah, I tried that approach and it doesn't work for me. I'm too indecisive and I get bored too quickly. And personality-wise, I'm all over the place. How is it possible that I'm both a good, dedicated worker AND lazy? That I love being around people but they also make me anxious and want to withdraw? That I want recognition, financial compensation, and a challenging work environment but I don't want to do any of the things that it takes to get me there?
I'm sure all of these feelings are common, and I don't think I'm the only one who has idiosyncrasies like these to wrestle with, but it's so damn frustrating sometimes! Maybe my expectations are too high? Maybe, deep down, I'm too scared to make a decision because then I have to deal with it? Maybe I'm just a masochist? I don't know.
I do know that I'm happy I quit the massage therapy gig. It's a tough job to do if you don't love it, and I never loved it. I don't love my RA job either, but that one is easier to not love - it doesn't take as much out of me, it pays better, and it allows me to do other things.
I'd like to figure out how to fuse together some of the things I do enjoy in a meaningful way. That way I'm using that 'jack of all trades' element to my advantage, instead of fighting it so hard.
4 comments:
Oh Lauren! I could not relate more. In fact, I could have written your words exactly while I was living in Burlington - and then I chose to have kids. So, I check the "kids, then inspiration" box. I know I"m good at being a mom... and the mommy time commitment makes me want to do other things. Taking care of the kids won't last forever, so I plan on getting back to the things I love when they are old enough to feed themselves dinner! Seriously though, I had a big talk with an old therapist about us "jane-of-all-trades" types. We are occasionally so jaded and lost, even though many people would just die to have our range of skills. Weird, eh?
My best advice: do what you love, and choose the path of least resistance. The rest of it should fall into place...
Get to those eggs while they are happy, dammit. And join the ranks of the mombloggers.
LOVE.
m
I say "here's to the Renaissance women"...we may be undervalued, but we're damned interesting! And go on that adventure trip and then have your baby...that will fulfill you in ways that work cannot :)
preamble ramble: the advice your friends gave you, people who know and love you, is priceless.
and the following are just thoughts derived from my own drifty multipronged approach to work and life. definately rerlated to your post, and felt compelled to respond!
That said, think of process: what motions do you enjoy making? Are you a hands-makey while thinking person? whatever you choose make sure it's a: project oriented, because it removes all boredom-over-time possibilities. Variation between projects is fodder for Janes-of-all-trades.
And the fusion will happen, just give it time. It may already be there or beginning: its hard to tell.
and from what i can see, nobody i know has ever regretted having a child. especially multifaceted smart ladies.
from:
a jane-of-all-trades-starvingartist-anthropologist turned creative strategist and graphic designer.
proof that things can and do fuse over time.
thanks for all your comments, my dear friends and family members and anonymous janes-of-all-trades. it feels good to read comments about this, to hear testimony that i'm not alone (which i know i'm not, but i need examples from time to time).
Post a Comment