Tuesday, June 24, 2008

So, in my quest for a fulfilling career, I've decided to start taking a bunch of classes in things I'm interested in. This afternoon was my first class at Harvard Summer School, and it's called 'Principles of Editing.' I wasn't sure I was going to get in, because when I signed up I was waitlisted (the class has a limit of 15 students), but I found out a few days ago that I made it! And it turns out my prof went to Mount Holyoke - which I take as a sign that I'm on the right track. We didn't do too much today, just introduced ourselves, heard about the teach, and did some in-class writing exercises (only to be red-inked by said prof later on, I am betting). After class I walked over to the Coop to buy my books. Damn I love school. Even though I hate dropping too much cash on pricey texts, I love the rest of the process - new and dusty books to flip through, more information to learn. I'm a school nerd, I know. Can't help it.

I'm also thinking of taking some computer classes. Something along the lines of Photoshop or InDesign, perhaps... Harvard offers them for discounted prices (or even FREE in some cases), so why not? Seems like a good thing to know.

So while I bitch about my Harvard gig - and deservedly so, since it's truly boring sometimes - it does allow me to do some cool stuff. I consider myself lucky.

No comments: