Monday, September 15, 2008

Political rant

Man, this whole Lehman Bros. fiasco is really freaking me out. I know next to nothing about economics, but to hear the specialists say they've never seen anything like this before is pretty terrifying. And not only is it unprecedented in our lifetime, the economic gurus on NPR warned that things would continue on this downward spiral for some unforeseen amount of time. Tom Ashbrook was both angrier and more scared than I've ever heard him be.

It's truly a brutal and eye-opening experience to think that our country might not make it. I know that's a fatalistic attitude; I'm not saying I believe that we are headed into the toilet with no way out, but it's scary that the richest country in the world is encountering problems of this magnitude. Giant Wall Street firms are collapsing, oil is expensive and controversial, food is costly, we're fighting a losing war, unemployment is up (and will probably rise more!), AND we're all obese and unhappy. What a shitstorm. Are we really considering electing a Republican for president? Seriously? How can we possibly elect the leader of the free world whose platforms consist of '100 more years of war' and 'drill more, use less?' Don't even get me started on this whole 'Country first' business. With McCain's policies in place, WHAT country?! We will be completely broke and have no one to help us because we've alienated every nation on this planet.

I know I threaten this every time an election rolls around, but I might have to move to Canada come November if we are facing four years of a McCain & Palin administration. Maybe I'll start researching different cities now. I hear Toronto is a great city. Nova Scotia sounds beautiful. And hell, they grow some fine plants up in Vancouver. Bonus: hockey is the national pasttime!

Oooh, on a lighter note, I just heard my husband on the radio! He's down in Atlanta visiting his brother, who is a radio DJ, and I heard L speak a few words about - what else? - the Bruins. Most excellent.

No comments: