Friday, July 15, 2005

Weighty issues

From this week's The Onion:

Shape Magazine Declares July 'Let Yourself Go' Month
WOODLAND HILLS, CA—Shape, the women's fitness magazine, has officially declared July "Let Yourself Go" Month. "You've toned those abs and burned the flab in time for bikini season... Now it's time for a meatball sandwich," wrote Shape editor-in-chief Barbara Harris in her "From The Editor" column. "Come on, live a little. Don't be a tight-ass with a tight ass. Eat, lounge, and slouch your way to a happier, more satisfied you." Features in the issue include "Girth Equals Mirth: Six Sure-Fire Techniques For Broadening That Belly," "Wrinkles: The More You Have, The More You've Lived," and "Reduce Unwanted Stress By Not Giving A Fuck."

I think I've endorsed this idea wholeheartedly. Those of who you know me understand that I normally don't give a second thought to my weight. I'm interested in being healthy, and try to eat well and be physically active. But I'm one of the few folks I know who's never tried to lose weight. Don't worry, that hasn't changed. But I have noticed in the past few months (especially the past few weeks) that I seem to have added a few extra pounds around the midsection. I'm more curious about it than anything else... my metabolism usually moves at warp speed, so I'm wondering - is it finally slowing down? Am I staring down a future of no more candy? Or is it a temporary shift? Is it because I've started being much more active lately? I don't really know. Though I've talked to a few other 27-year-olds who are feeling the same way, which makes me think it's the former. I'll make sure to keep you all updated, never fear.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Er, yeah I have wicked midsection growth this year, and my metabolism is usually high speed. Which is why I hadn't changed sizes though I didn't exercise the past 5 years. Now I'm a size and a half past my old clothes and wondering where my sneakers are.... 27 = death of metabolism.