Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Old Friends

Man, I don't know what I would do without my oldest friends. Those who knew you when you were an awkward teenager, those who know how crazy your parents can be, those who you got drunk with the first time. There's something about these folks that just transcend all the shitty stuff.

I was on the phone last night with an old high school friend. We're both going through tough times; it's been the worst year we've been alive (for some of the same reasons, some different). It doesn't matter that I haven't talked to him in six months. He gives me a certain strength and happiness, that feeling that the world is really OK as long as you have people you love around you. And those people who have seen you at your worst, seen you when you're really down - there's such an amazing trust that just doesn't go away. I know I can call this kid in twenty years and we can go grab a beer or breakfast at a local diner and talk about real stuff. What a breath of fresh air.

Amidst all the shit of late, I feel a little more at peace knowing I have such spectacular people in my world.

1 comment:

margaret said...

Thank god for N-Dogg, huh?

XOXOXO