Saturday, October 17, 2009

Sinus woes: read with caution, whining ensues

Today was the first day in two weeks that I woke up breathing through my nose. That small victory quickly faded as I became congested again within five minutes (and the headache hadn't disappeared), but I'll take it. Saliva: welcome back, my old friend!

Even though I was really exhausted through my first trimester, I would take it back in a heartbeat over how I've been feeling during my second trimester so far. Some days are better than others, but in the first two and half weeks I've been pretty miserable. The whole-body exhaustion thing has diminished somewhat, but since I've been suffering through these awful headaches and congestion I'm not sleeping any better--so I'm still pretty fatigued. I'm unfortunately used to dealing with chronic sinusitis even when I'm not pregnant, but apparently about 30% of pregnant women have the bonus of additional pregnancy rhinitis symptoms. So it's just gotten worse.

I tried doing a neti pot again (after no luck a few years ago), and I had forgotten just how much worse it made me feel. I was even stuffier right after (impossible!) and felt like I gave myself a sinus infection. It just doesn't work for me; I'm too congested and the saline water goes in but doesn't come out... at least until many days later, when I'm at a meeting and all of a sudden it's Niagara Falls on my face.

Guh. I know I sound really whiny, and things could certainly be worse, but I can't take it anymore! I wish Boston had the temperature and humidity of Thailand in the wet season. Seriously, I think my body would *love* it. The piles of tissues that fill each of my garbage cans are proof of that.

No comments: